Sunday, January 27, 2008

Knight Revolution Muzzleloader and Nikon Omega Scope















Hello All,

Today I am going to review the

Knight Revolution Muzzleloader and Nikon Omega Scope

Rifle Rating: *****
Scope Rating *****


The Knight Revolution has gotten some bad press. I have seen articles that say that the gun is next to impossible to keep clean and that the action is terrible. They complain of the trigger being too difficult to pull. To every complaint I say "hog wash".

First, cleaning the gun. The gun cleans as easy OR EASIER than any other muzzleloader that I have ever owned. I have owned: CVA basic inline (the name of which eludes me) and the CVA Optima (Also a nice gun, but slightly less accurate than the Revolution in my hands). It is a simple procedure and one I undertake after every single shot at the range.


1. Release the trigger guard assembly by pushing the button just behind the trigger guard.
2. Remove it by raising the lever just ahead of the trigger guard and the action is completely free.
3. Slide the breech plug wrench into the available space and remove the breech plug.
4. Clean the gun just like any other muzzleloader.



The action seems intuitive once you have operated it a few times. The idea of setting your primer cap onto a shelf and then closing the action and letting the gun seat the cap seems strange at first (See pic above, notice the red cap). Stranger yet perhaps is that the primer cap is removed as the action is opened. This is a pretty cool thing. Think about this: I have had so many caps that seem to seize onto the breech plug nipple and then you go searching for the cap tool that never seems to be where you need it. Not to worry they got it covered.

Knight as a company is awesome... most folks will agree. I originally hated that Knight made me load the primer caps onto their little red caps. I figured that I could save the step with my CVA break action Optima. I did save a step but I always had fowling on my scope and I have had my powder get wet during a down pour. The Revolution stopped that for me by adding the extra step. I painfully admit that I was wrong and they were right.

My, not so delicate, hands don't sense that the trigger is to hard to squeeze after all there is a trigger adjustment on the rifle to adjust to even the most sensitive of 'trager fangers'.

Now for what is important to me. Accuracy...? You better believe it. I, a mediocre shot, can maintain a one inch group at 100 yards. Works for me. I didn't think that kind of accuracy was possible with a muzzleloader. But, it is.

Feel... this gun has a feel that is familiar to me. I wield it as if I have had it for years and it seems less cumbersome than my Optima on and off range.

As with all good things there is bound to be at least one flaw. The Knight Revolutions action is difficult to close with one hand once you add the primer cap. I found a simple solution though... use two hands. This may be a slight inconvenience for those that expect everything from what they buy, but believe me the gun is a shooter otherwise. When you are hunting you will only have to make that motion once and maybe twice tops.

The Revolution is being replaced by the Revolution II. Apparently, the people of Knight fixed the only complaint that I could find and hopefully they didn't change anything else. Now may be a good time to look for a Revolution at a discounted price. I paid $250 at Academy last October because it was their only one and it was a display model. I believe the regular price is somewhere between $350 and $500. Bass Pro has the Revolution II in black synthetic stock and blue barrel for $369.

I love this gun and give it my highest marks, 5 stars.

Now, the Nikon Omega 3x9x40 is a well received addition to the muzzleloading community. It offers a BDC reticle and crystal clear optics. The idea of the reticle is to allow a person using 150 grains of powder and a 250 grain bullet to shoot close to the bullseye at ranges of 100, 150, 200, 225 and 250 distances by aiming with prepositioned circles stacked on top of each other within the reticle.



Now, I may at some point want to take longer than 100 yard shot at a deer so having this type of reticle is not completely useless to me. However, I don't use 150 grains of powder, I use 100. I do however use a 250 grain bullet. So, if I wanted to still use the reticle for further distances I would need to take the gun out and see where the bullet hits at various yardages and make a mental note of it.

Despite the potential coolness to this feature it is not why I bought the scope. I bought the Omega because it can take a licken and keep ticken. It is designed for the heaviest muzzle blasts of a muzzleloader and it provides necessary eye relief for recoil associated with muzzleloaders. The optics are very clear and I trust and can afford Nikon. I am sure some will find the scope out of reach at the $250 (Bass Pro). I imagine the Bushnell Scopechief ($50) would suffice but be careful of the recoil lest you end up with Magnum Eye. I used a cheap Simmons for years on my Optima and never had any real problem. Once in a while I would wore a scratch from the scope but you learn to hang on. But, I wonder... does my accuracy suffer when I am squeezing the gun to prevent being hit? I would have to answer yes. Just a thought.

The gun and scope combo is awesome. Let me know your thoughts.


God Bless,

Sean





No comments: