Monday, February 4, 2008

Redhead Enduraskin base layers







"The moisture-wicking, odor-fighting, stain-releasing, quick-drying fabric! Using breakthrough anti-microbial technology, Visa Endurance keeps your sweat from making you and your clothes smell. Its durable silver ion-based finish prevents the growth of odor-causing bacteria, while moisture-wicking technology pulls sweat away from your body and toward the garment surface for quick evaporation." Bass Pro Shops description

Shirt Rating: 5/5 stars
Pant Rating: 5/5 stars

Hello All,

Today I am going to review the Bass Pro Shops: Redhead Enduraskin base layers. Both the shirt and pants are made of the same material and therefore I will describe them together.

The late summer and early fall of Middle Tennessee produces temperatures between 75-100 degrees F. What do those temperatures mean to hunting? Sweat which equals stink. But, what in the sweat causes the stink? The simple answer is microorganisms (bacteria, fungus, etc.).

What if you could go into the woods and sweat and not produce oder? Well, you can with these garments. Not a believer? Listen to my test and make up your own mind.

Last Summer I was scouting my hunting area and had purchased my Redhead Enduraskin under shorts and short sleeve shirt. The temperature was about 110 degrees that day and I decided to where these and pair of light weight rayon outer clothes. Now, knowing that I was going to test these garments, I put no deodorant on after my regular shower.

I walked in the woods for about 6 miles that day and sweat up a storm. As I walked I realized something... I had goosebumps from the wind that was blowing against my wet undershirt. I thought about it for awhile and realized that I was really quite comfortable in these clothes despite the super hot temps.

When I got home that day it was quite late. I had been sweating without deodorant all day long and was about to undress and figure out if these garments really do kill the microorganisms that make us stink. Guess what? They do.

I should have stunk as bad as a hog but to my surprise, I didn't at all. I wiffed and wiffed and nothing no smell. There wasn't even the smell that I get after being in the sun all day. I became a believer that day.

Here the best news of all. The garments are cheap. I bought my Enduraskin gear at the Nashville Bass Pro Shop. The long sleeve shirt is $34.95 and the long underwear is $29.95. I also bought the under shorts for $14.95 and short sleeve shirt for $24.95 and the beanie cap for $9.95.

I wore the garments on every single hunt of the season. Shed the Enduraskin for cold weather though as I think I may have gotten cold during the really cold days prematurely as a result of the garment. I would recommend the garment for temps between 120-40 degrees F.

God Bless,
Sean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

High quality of baselayers are available at Patagonia...