Saturday, October 11, 2008

ThermaCell Review

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Today I am reviewing the ThermaCell Mosquito Repellent. During the early bow season in Middle Tennessee the mosquitoes go on the offensive. They will get you even if you are covered from head to toe with clothing. I spent the first 5 hunts this year getting eaten alive. I had a swarm of skeeters attacking me from the very minute that I sat in the woods. The buzzing noise around the ears the sting of their bites and the emotional struggle to maintain my inner being were too much for me on one of my hunts. I had to end the hunt early. I physically could not sit still and was punished by the deer who saw me swatting the blood suckers in self defense. I never saw the deer but heard the tell-tale signs of braking branches going the exact opposite direction from me.

I resolved to try the ThermaCell just to see if it works. The price that I paid was about $20 for the unit and an additional $10 for the holster at my local WalMart. The device was described as being "Odorless" so, I gladly handed over the greenbacks for the possibility of some relief.

I took the device into the woods with only a hope of relief, but deep down I didn't expect much from the little device. I would have been thankful for half of the buggers to be gone. I was amazed by the results. I saw exactly 1 mosquito the entire night and she bugged out of there after catching a whiff of the concoction. She was kind enough to leave without a single bite.

I didn't notice any smell on the first night that I used it, but when I used the second time the smoke blew right in my face a couple of times and odorless it is not. The smell isn't particularly strong or chemically, strangely enough. Like always, play the wind correctly. Because the item is advertised as being "Odorless" and doesn't live up to it's claim, I have given the item 4 out of 5 stars.

An added feature of this device is that it seconds as a wind indicator. The light smoke that comes from it drifts into the wind and tells you where your scent is blowing.

If you are getting bugged by the local sceeters go out and buy one of these handy do-dads. You can find them at just about all outdoor stores that carry camping and/or hunting supplies. I highly recommend it for early bow season and especially camping.

God bless,
Sean

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I love this thing. I used it while bear hunting last spring and could not have stayed out because the bugs were so bad. Highly recommended!

Aaron
www.houndpoundn.com